Inspired by a vintage '70s mic, the Warm Audio WA-14 large-diaphragm condenser microphone brings the sound of a popular studio staple to a price class that's more accessible to musicians, singer-songwriters, and project studio engineers. Boasting a custom CK12-style capsule with dual diaphragms, the WA-14 delivers classic tone along with three selectable polar patterns—cardioid, omnidirectional, and figure-8—to allow the flexibility needed to handle anything from lead vocals to room capture.
In addition to the custom 1" gold-sputtered capsule, the WA-14 utilizes tantalum and WIMA film capacitors and a CineMag USA transformer, completing the fully discrete signal path with high-quality components. Next to the polar pattern selector on the front of the mic is a switch for the pad, which can be set to -10 or -20 dB. At the -20 dB position, the WA-14 is capable of taking intense sound pressure levels up to 150 dB without distortion. Both a vibration-inhibiting shockmount and a space-saving hard mount are supplied with the WA-14 microphone.
Blast from the Past
The WA-14 is a classic condenser microphone based on the early 1970's microphone used on countless hit records. The WA-14 utilizes a custom all-brass CK12-style capsule, a CineMag USA transformer, and a fully discrete signal path. The WA-14 can be used on an array of sources, such as punchy/warm intimate lead vocals, acoustic/electric guitars, bass, drums/percussion, strings/orchestral material, and many other sources. The WA-14 provides a realism and thickness that is true to the vintage microphone, but now at an affordable price.
The WA-12-B-60V is an all-brass, edge-terminated capsule that captures all the smoothness, rich top end, and warm vintage sonics of the original CK12 capsule. The WA-12-B-60V uses a variant CEK-12 back plate as a basis, which overcomes manufacturing limitations of the original CK12 capsule. The o-ring and housing of the WA-12-B-60V are all made from brass (no teflon parts), and the diaphragm is 24kt gold-sputtered, 6-micron, NOS PET film (mylar). The end result is a very consistent, reliable capsule which matches the frequency response and tonality of the classic 1970's capsule.
Born Out of Need
When designing their first microphone, Warm Audio knew that the single greatest challenge would be to offer a capsule that was built to a high standard and priced in a range that everyday musicians and engineers could afford. They already knew where to find great microphone transformers, precision resistors, polystyrene, tantalum, and WIMA film capacitors, but they came to realize that they should develop their own line of capsules.
The WA (Warm Audio) brand of capsule is the result of several years of research, a lifetime of listening, and a passion for great sound. Above all else, Warm Audio capsules came from the desire to give customers far more quality/value than what they are used to getting in an affordable microphone. Every Warm Audio capsule is made in the same small assembly house in a clean-room environment, and packaged in its own protective jewel case until the moment it is loaded into the microphone. Every capsule is visually inspected and electrically tested for imperfections. Every capsule is also made with all brass parts (no teflon or other cost saving material) and is carefully skinned from the same supply of high-purity NOS Mylar (PET film).
- Lens Kondensator LK-12-B-60V edge-terminated, dual-backplate, all-brass vintage CK-12-style capsule
- Custom CineMag USA transformer
- Discrete signal path featuring tantalum and WIMA film capacitors
- Three polar patterns (cardioid, figure-8, and omnidirectional)
- Variable pad (-10 or -20 dB)
- Balanced, gold-contact, XLR 3-pin output connector
- Requires 48V phantom power
- Includes shockmount, hard mount, and protective zipper pouch
- Primary Applications: Studio Recording
- Form Factor: Large Diaphragm Mic / Stand/Boom Mount
- Intended Sound Sources: Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Drums, Percussion, Strings
- Sound Field: Mono
- Operating Principle: Pressure Gradient
- Capsule: Condenser
- Diaphragm: 1" / 25.40 mm
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid, Figure-8, Omnidirectional
- Pattern Selection: Switched (Adjustable on Mic)
- Orientation: Side Address
- Circuitry: Solid-State
- Pad: -10 dB -20 dB
- High-Pass Filter: None
- Tone Adjustment: None
- Gain Adjustment: None
- Indicators: None
- On-Board Controls: Pad, Polar Pattern
- Windscreen: None
- Frequency Range: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 138 dB SPL (1 kHz, .5% THD) 144 dB SPL (1 kHz, .5% THD) 150 dB SPL (1 kHz, .5% THD, with Pad)
- Impedance: 150 Ohms
- Output Connectors (Analog): 1 x XLR 3-Pin Male (on Mic)
- Headphone Connector: None
- Bus Power: None
- Operating Voltage: 48 V (Phantom Power)
- Color: Black
- Mounting: Mic Clip/Stand Adapter, Shockmount (Included)
- Included Case: Zipper Pouch
- Included Filters: None
- Package Weight: 2.55 lb
- Box Dimensions (LxWxH): 11.5 x 8.3 x 4.5"