If you're a podcaster looking for professional end-address microphone that will work with both USB and traditional analog setups, look no farther than the Samson Q9U, a microphone with USB-C and XLR outputs to bolster its versatility. Use this mic for your own solo podcasts, and take it with you whenever you're doing an interview or a panel.
Either way, you'll appreciate the built-in shockmount that keeps the mic free from handling noise. You'll also be sure to value the integrated pop filter that fights against p-pops and plosives as well as the on-board tonal controls for tailoring the mic to your particular voice. A USB cable is included so you can get up and working right away. A foam windscreen is also included to reinforce the integrated windscreen.
The dynamic capsule with neodymium magnet provides plenty of output to work with any mixer or audio interface without the need for any external gain devices. A wide frequency response and large dynamic range capture the nuance and natural sound of speech and music performances. An advanced humbucking coil reduces the pickup of electromagnetic (EMI) and radio-frequency interference (RFI) as well as hum from other equipment.
For Your Setup, Whatever It Is
With its XLR and USB-C outputs, the mic will work with mac and windows computers over USB, or with any audio interface, mixer, or preamp. Anywhere you need to use a broadcast-style, end-address microphone, you can.
The Q9U has a built-in dual-layer windscreen to filter out plosives and p-pops, so you won't get any distortion when you say words like "plosives" or "p-pops." The mic also comes with an integrated mounting system that keeps your audio unperturbed by unwanted handling noise.
Cardioid Polar Pattern for the Untreated Room
The microphone makes use of a directional cardioid polar pattern to minimize off-axis sound. This polar pattern naturally, yet effectively tamps down room tone and focuses the audio capture on what's directly in front of the mic. Depending on your particular room, you may still need a little room treatment, or some noise-reduction software, to address issues such as your computer's hum or your air conditioner, but the chances of that are markedly lower with a cardioid polar pattern.
Use the built-in 3.5mm jack to monitor audio straight from the mic over your headphones.
With low-cut and mid-presence controls, the Q9U can filter out rumble and give your voice the midrange bump it needs to stand out. A mute button will handily silence both the USB and the XLR outputs.
Professional Audio Capture
This USB mic boasts a 96 kHz/24-bit converter, one made by one of the best hardware DSP companies in the business. You'll be able to record audio with the same specifications of a professional recording studio.
The Q9U requires absolutely no drivers to run out of the box. Just plug it in to your computer and you should be good to go.
- Primary Applications: Live Sound, Broadcast, Podcast, Web-Streaming, Conferencing
- Form Factor: Stand/Boom Mount
- Intended Sound Sources: Vocals, Speech/Voice Over
- Sound Field: Mono
- Operating Principle: Pressure Gradient
- Capsule: 1 x Dynamic
- Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Orientation: End Address
- Circuitry: Solid-State
- Pad: None
- High-Pass Filter: Yes
- Tone Adjustment: Mid Boost
- On-Board Controls: High-Pass Filter, Mic Mute
- Windscreen: Built-In. Foam (Included)
- Frequency Range: 50 Hz to 20 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 140 dB SPL
- Impedance: 250 Ohms
- Sensitivity: -57 dBV/Pa at 1 kHz. -16 dBFS/Pa at 1 kHz
- Output Connectors (Analog): 1 x XLR 3-Pin Male (on Mic)
- Output Connectors (Digital): 1 x USB Type-C (on Mic)
- Headphone Connector: 1 x 1/8" / 3.5 mm
- Cable Length: 6.6' / 2 m
- A/D Conversion: 24-Bit
- Sample Rate: 96 kHz
- Operating System Support: Windows, iOS, macOS/OS X, OS Compatibility Windows iOS, macOS. *As of January, 2020: Check with manufacturer for the most up-to-date compatibility
- Available Port: USB (Interface Unspecified)
- Bus Power: USB
- Operating Current Consumption: 170 mA
- Color: Black
- Mounting: Mounting Thread (via Integrated Hardware)
- Mounting Thread Size: 5/8"-27 Female
- Dimensions: ø: 2.4H: 7" / ø: 61H: 177.8 mm
- Weight: 2.13 lb / 0.97 kg
- Package Weight: 2.88 lb
- Box Dimensions (LxWxH): 9.9 x 5.9 x 5.1"