Presonus RC 500 Solid State Channel Strip - 125075 - 673454002465
- INTERNATIONAL BUYERS
- ELECTRONIC DELIVERY
- PROCESSING TIME
- CALL FOR IN-HAND DESCRIPTION
A new “vintage” signal processor
It's rare to find a truly outstanding solid-state channel strip that can deliver a vintage vibe reminiscent of classic high-end products, yet employs a thoroughly modern design. To find one that you can buy without heavily depleting your bank account is even more rare. But there is one channel strip that delivers the goods without the big tab: the PreSonus RC 500. The RC 500 combines a custom-designed FET compressor and semi-parametric EQ with a distinctive, ultra-low-distortion, high-gain, solid-state Class A preamplifier design. The result is a top-of-the-line - yet very affordable - channel strip for recording engineers and recording musicians with a sound that is reminiscent of classic, vintage solid-state preamps.
The solid-state preamp that instantly became a legend
When Robert Creel, the engineering mastermind behind the XMAX preamp and many of our other best analog circuits, demonstrated his newest solid-state preamp design, we knew it was going to be special. Creel’s new preamp uses a Class A hybrid input stage with discrete transistors and the latest-generation, low-distortion operational amplifiers, and when we heard its transparent, detailed, clear sound, it instantly became an in-house legend. By popular demand, Creel’s superb preamp became the heart of the new RC 500, named "RC" in his honor.
Clean, fast, reliable FET compression
The RC 500’s FET (Field-Effect Transistor) compressor includes fully variable attack, release, and threshold controls, as well as bypass controls. FET-based compressors such as the one in the RC 500 use transistors to emulate a triode tube’s operation and sound. This type of compressor generally provides a faster attack time and better repeatability than the optical compressors typically found in channel strips. The RC 500 compressor has a “soft knee” compression curve and a fixed 3:1 compression ratio, although the input-gain stage can be driven harder, with a lower threshold, to emulate higher compression ratios. This combination provides lots of flexibility without adding complexity, making dialing in just the right sound quick and easy!
Smooth, refined, musical EQ
The RC 500’s 3-band semi-parametric EQ was designed to match its preamp and compressor. It combines isolated filters and optimized, per-band Q to provide subtle signal-shaping without harsh artifacts. All three bands have Gain (±16 dB) and Frequency controls and fixed Q (0.5), and the mid and high bands have overlapping frequency ranges. The low and high bands are switchable between shelving and peak. Both the compressor and the EQ can also be hard-bypassed, allowing you to remove either or both from the circuit.
A wealth of connections and features
When you have a special processor like the RC 500, you’ll want to use it in a wide range of applications, so we’ve given it flexible I/O and all the features you’re likely to need. Rear-panel XLR mic and line inputs and a front-panel ¼” instrument input accept a variety of sound sources, managed by a handy Input Select switch. You get balanced outputs on XLR and ¼” TRS connectors as well as a balanced send and return for patching in your favorite boutique processor—or use the send to record both the processed and the unprocessed preamp signals at the same time. We also included +48V phantom power, polarity inversion, a 20 dB pad, and a -12 dB/octave highpass filter with a threshold set at 80 Hz. A large, backlit, dual-mode analog VU metering enables monitoring of output and gain-reduction levels. A master level control adjusts the overall output from -80 to +10 dB. It all adds up to a complete, versatile channel strip that will enhance any studio.
1-channel channel strip with solid-state preamplifier
- Transformer-coupled, high gain microphone preamp with a Class A hybrid design
- FET based compressor using hybrid detection methods with switching relays for hard bypass
- 3-band semi-parametric equalizer with switching relays for hard bypass
- +48V phantom power, 80 Hz highpass filter, and -20 dB pad
- Front-panel ¼” instrument and rear-panel XLR microphone and line inputs with Input Select switch
- VU meter with selectable output level/gain reduction display
- Analog insert with balanced send and return
- High grade components: film capacitors, 1% tolerance resistors, and very low-distortion op amps
- Master output control
- Balanced output on XLR and ¼” TRS connectors
- Internal toroidal power supply with IEC connector
- Steel chassis
- Microphone: 1500Ω
- Line: 1 kΩ
- Instrument: 1 MΩ
Maximum Input Level
- Microphone (-20 dB Pad out): 0 dBu
- Microphone (-20 dB Pad in): +20 dBu
- Balanced Line: +18 dBu
- Instrument: 0 dBu
- Microphone (-20 dB Pad out): +20 dB to +70 dB
- Line: -20 dB to +15 dB
- Instrument: +5 dB to +50 dB
- Noise Floor (all inputs, minimum gain): -102 dBu (A-weighted)
- Microphone Equivalent Input Noise (EIN; 20 Hz - 20 kHz): -125 dBu (A-weighted)
- Microphone Input THD+N: < 0.025% (20 Hz - 20 kHz)
- Line Input THD + N: < 0.006% (20 Hz - 20 kHz)
- Instrument Input THD + N: < 0.02% (20 Hz - 20 kHz)
- Frequency Response: 10 Hz to 25 kHz, ±1 dB
- Maximum Output Level: +24 dBu
- Output Impedance: 50Ω
- Type: 2nd-order shelving filter
- Q: 0.5
- Low Band (Low-pass or Bandpass): 20 Hz to 400 Hz, ±16 dB
- Mid Band: 400 Hz to 5 kHz, ±16 dB
- High Band (High-pass or Bandpass): 2 kHz to 20 kHz, ±16 dB
- Type: FET VCA with RMS-based control
- Threshold (Variable): -25 dBu to +20 dBu
- Ratio (Fixed): 3:1
- Attack Time (Variable): Fast (0.5 ms) to Slow (10 ms)
- Release Time (Variable): Fast (30 ms) to Slow (500 ms)
- Curve Type: Soft knee
- Internal supply, standard IEC connector: 100/120/230/240 VAC, 12W
- Dimensions: 1U rackmount
- Height: 1.72” (43.7 mm)
- Depth: 7.69" (195.3 mm)
- Width: 19” (482.6 mm)
- Weight: 7 lb. 3 oz. (3.26 kg)
- MPN: 125075
- UPC: 673454002465
Audio MIDI Plus is committed to deliver the best experience for our customers. If for some reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, you may return it for a refund of the purchase price, an exchange or a store credit within 30 days from the ship date.
In the unlikely event that you received a defective product, a wrong product, or damaged product, Audio MIDI Plus will replace it at no charge of any additional shipping cost. We will send you a prepaid label to return the item, and ship you a replacement. You will not incur any shipping charges. Please notify us of any of damaged, defective or misshipped products within 14 days.
After 30 days, you may request manufacturer warranty if your item malfunctions. Unless otherwise specified, Audio MIDI Plus is an authorized dealer for all the brands we represent.
How to request a return:
Please email us or call us to obtain a RMA number. All returns must be in a re-sellable condition and include all packing materials, accessories and paperwork. We may apply a restocking fee if the returned products fall into these following categories:
- Missing original packaging, manuals, accessories, or any contents that was included
- RMA number was not associated with the return
- Items not in original like new condition
Please send all returns to:
Audio MIDI Plus Returns
3725 Saddle Drive,
Carlsbad, CA 92010
The following items are not returnable, unless received DOA, in which we will send a replacement:
- Electronic Delivery of Software
- Special orders
Items that fall into the in mouth and in ear use category, such as mouthpieces, earphones, ear plugs, harmonicas, cannot be returned due to health regulations
Thank You for shopping with us!
If your item is eligible for shipment outside of the United States, Tax, Duty, and/or VAT and brokerage fees are the buyer's sole responsibility. Please check with your local authorities to assess these extra fees.
Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding or buying.
International Friends: If you refuse a delivery due to Tax and/or Duty, we reserve the right to refund you only when the package is successfully returned back to us, and MINUS all shipping charges
Most software items are now Electronic Delivery Only. Once payment is received, we will Email you the necessary codes and/or download links. Please be sure to check your junk mail and spam folders for this Email.
While most items are in stock either in our retail store or fulfillment warehouse in Carlsbad, CA, in some cases items may need to be ordered and/or drop shipped from the manufacturer. Please allow 3-10 days for order processing, fulfillment, and setup, as well as transit and delivery time. Tracking will be available within 48 hours in most cases.
Please call us at (844) 577-4502 10AM-6PM PT M-S for an IN-HAND description of the item that you are interested in. We are always happy to help, and look forward to speaking with you if needed. Live Skype may also be available for you.